What Type of Imagery Does Kathy King Use Kathy King Art
As y'all may realize from my electric current work, I'one thousand into black and white ceramics.
It's not that I don't similar using color: I love it! In fact, that is i of the reasons I fell so hard for mosaic art. I love the brilliant colors and juicy depth of the glass. Theoretically, coat is too drinking glass, and so I should accept but every bit much success with colorful glazes, correct?
Well, not so much. I have been trying for many years to figure out the perfect colorful stop for my piece of work. I accept tried colored slips, underglazes, stains, majolica, gas glazes, electric glazes, oil paint, decoupage, encaustics, you lot name information technology. I was never 100% satisfied with any of these finishes on my sculptural work. Or my functional work for that affair. I never felt that sense of harmony that the surface treatment "fit" the piece and fairly showed off the craftsmanship underneath. For years I liked my pieces best at the leather-difficult stage: that is, before they had any coat applied to them.
And so I tried an experiment: raku glazing one of my sculptures. It was this ane, "Dilemma:"
I couldn't have been more than thrilled with the result. The subtle finish complimented my sculpting and carving marks, and looked entirely natural on the piece. The black and white color scheme was striking, and helped convey the somewhat poignant mood I was aiming for.
That was final twelvemonth, in 2012. At present it's 2013, and information technology's experiment fourth dimension once again. My current studio at the School of Craft doesn't yet have a raku kiln, although I am working on building ane. But up until the kiln is completed (and it gets a picayune more seasonable to stand outside to do it!) I wanted to figure out an alternate finish for my pieces that I could do in our electric kiln.
And that, ladies and admirer, brings me to the championship of the mail service: sgraffito! To sgraffito, you lot must cover your work in colored slip or underglaze, and then carve through that painted layer to make your design. If you employ blackness underglaze on white dirt, you get a striking, graphic look, much like a linoleum block impress. I learned how to sgraffito as an undergraduate, but I never really idea much of it until I took at workshop at Arrowmont in 2007 with the Sgraffito Queen herself, Kathy Rex. That was my first Arrowmont feel, and was it ever amazing! Kathy was a actually fun and energetic instructor, and the group nosotros had in the class was very easygoing as well. Kathy kept the temper expert-humored and fast paced, giving usa all room to experiment and fifty-fifty goof off a little. She even gave us hand-drawn handouts of her coat recipes and techniques, which I still consult to this 24-hour interval. Thanks, Kathy!!!
Kathy's work uses imagery inspired by indie comics, pinup girls, and other forms of pop civilization to give her often satirical have on the experience of the modern woman. Her work is often hilarious, sometimes poignant, never apologetic. One that peculiarly sticks in my mind is her hilarious accept on cramps: showing a despondent looking egg dressed in a accommodate and briefcase, being chased away by devils with pitchforks yelling, "y'all're not wanted here!" Here is ane of her stacked vessels, "Home Flower Vase."
I dear the movement created by the pocket-sized carving marks that make up the background of the piece. To see more of Kathy's work, visit her website. FYI, for interested parties, Kathy is teaching a workshop on these stacked vessels at Arrowmont this summertime! I noticed this when I was scoping the schedule, because applying for a summer internship over again this year. Hither'southward more than information on the course.
That same year I took Kathy's workshop, I besides had the opportunity to go to NCECA with ceramics gild at Truman State. (NCECA is a behemothic annual briefing for ceramics people, clay heaven basically.) There I was introduced to the lovely work of Karen Newgard. Karen is too a sgraffito creative person, currently living and working in Asheville, NC. Her piece of work is inspired by her family home, patterning in nature, and Southern Folk Art. I love all of Karen's work, but especially her jars. Here are ii delicious examples:

"Tall Bird Jars"
"Botanical Jar"
To see more than, visit Karen's website. She has a peculiarly interesting section called "Pottery Process," showing a step-by-pace creation of her work. By now y'all all know how much I love process photos!!
So become set up, people. I programme to become sgraffito crazy until I get this raku kiln upward and running. So far I have already busted one very well loved carving stylus in this experiment and the 2nd one is on its last legs. Don't worry, though, at that place are more tools on the fashion (thank you, mom!) I am also taking lots of photos for y'all so as soon as experiment #one gets through the kiln, yous can await to hear all well-nigh information technology! For now, here is a little sneak peek:

Until adjacent fourth dimension!
Source: http://www.emilynickel.com/2013/02/lets-talk-about-sgraffito-with-featured-artists-kathy-king-and-karen-newgard/
0 Response to "What Type of Imagery Does Kathy King Use Kathy King Art"
Postar um comentário